During the school day, students at St. Croix Lutheran High School are to choose to wear clothes from the following styles:
Pants: Dress pants, Dockers® style pants, cargo-style pants, and capri-style pants may be worn. Jeans that are not frayed at the hem or that do not have frayed or patched holes may be worn. Pants are not to be the low-riding style.
Shorts: Shorts are to be of similar material described in the first section on pants. Sports shorts and any style of sweat pants/wind pants are allowed only during gym classes.
Girls may wear dresses and must follow the guidelines for style and modesty outlined in the shirts/sweaters and the skirts/shorts sections below. Jean skirts may not be frayed at the hem.
Shirts/Sweaters: Shirts must have sleeves and a modest neckline. Shirts and sweater necklines should be no lower than four inches from the base of the neck. Shirts need to be long enough to be tucked in. If skin shows when hands are raised above the head, the shirt/sweater is too short. Buttoned or zippered shirts are to be buttoned or zipped unless there is a crew neck type shirt underneath.
What is an appropriate length for skirts and shorts? The bottom hem of the item should meet or exceed the reach of the fingertips when your arms are placed at your side, even when wearing leggings. If bare skin is touched by the extended fingertips, the shorts, skirt or dress is too short.
Christian students realize that their bodies are the temples of God’s Holy Spirit and as such strive to keep themselves neat, clean, well groomed and modestly dressed. This is yet another way for students to be salt and light in the world.
Clothing that detracts from a Christian school setting, which are to be avoided, are listed below.
- Shirts unbuttoned or unzipped to the point of immodesty
- Spaghetti strap dresses or tops
- Shirts resembling underwear but worn as an outer garment, such as a tank top or muscle shirt
- Unkempt, dirty, ill-groomed, and unnatural colored hair
- Any ornamentation, other than earrings, that involves visible tattoos and body piercing will not be allowed.
- Chains, studded or spike-style leather collars or bracelets will not be allowed at school.
- Goth style clothing
- Half gloves
- Hats of any type
- Males may wear a maximum of two dime-sized hoop earrings or studs. No expanders will be allowed.
- Sleeveless shirts
- Any shirt or top that leads to a bare midriff or has an immodest neckline
- Frayed, cut, or patched pants, skirts, or shorts
- Sag, “slouch”, baggy or with excessively large leg jeans, pants or shorts.
- Short outfits or skirts
- Lounge wear (pajamas)
- Any other item of apparel which is inconsistent with the structured atmosphere of the school
A general rule of thumb to follow when trying to determine if the length of shorts/skirts/dresses is appropriate; the bottom hem of the item should meet or exceed the reach of the fingertips when your arms are placed at your side.
Students may wear selective clothing with logos. However, the following types of logos are not to be worn:
- Alcohol, drugs, tobacco.
- Sggestive, double-meaning, cursing, vulgarities, skulls, Satanic symbols, or morbid images.
- Msic-related (groups, concerts, individual, album covers, etc.) except those associated with SCLHS or WELS musical programs.
- Tape is not allowed to cover offensive slogans or logos.
NOTE: AN IMMEDIATE DETENTION CAN BE ISSUED FOR VIOLATION OF THE ABOVE. In addition to detention periods, the following discipline will apply:
- The student will serve an in-school suspension until his/her clothing is in line with the policy above. An in-school suspension results in zero credit for any class time missed.
- The parents will be notified and expected to bring clothes or grant permission for their child to go home to change clothes and return to school as soon as possible.
It is not practical for SCLHS to establish written rules for every single issue of dress that may arise. At those times when personal judgments are made, Christian young people will honor the decisions of those whom the Lord has placed into positions of authority.